You might wish for a future where all you have to do is ask (Siri on TV?) but until then, your living room is most likely plagued by several remote controls laying around - and usually the one you're looking for is the one that is missing. TVs, set-top boxes, DVR, DVDs, AV system, bluray, media center... There are lots of things we need to control, and not enough fingers to do it all.
Sure, universal remotes can lend a hand, and even learn commands from other remotes; but, if you happen to have an Apple TV, maybe you'll like to know that it can to learn commands from any remote.
Yes, you can effectively use any remote control to control your Apple TV. No jailbreak required!
Note: If you have an Apple TV (1st generation), update to Apple TV software 2.3 or later.
- Using the Apple Remote included with Apple TV, choose Settings > General > Remotes.
- Choose Learn Remote.
- Set your remote to a device setting that doesn’t control any other devices in the area or identify other buttons that do not already control a function on your TV or other device. Many third-party remotes have an option to control different devices such as a VCR or DVD player, or have an auxiliary (AUX) option for an unspecified device.
- Apple TV will display icons that represent the six buttons on the Apple Remote with the “Up” or “+” button highlighted first.
- Using your third-party remote, press and hold the button you would like to use to control the “up” function until the blue progress bar is full, as shown below.
- Apple TV will then select the next button function. Repeat step 6 and 7 using a different button
- After you have programmed all six button functions, you can now use your third-party remote to control Apple TV.
- Optionally, you can set up specific playback buttons for fast-forward, rewind, next chapter, and more.
And, if you think one remote control is not enough... nothing stops you from adding extra remote controls. Just follow the exact same procedure with every single remote control you wish to use with your Apple TV. At anytime you can rename, delete or revise your button choices for a selected third-party remote by choosing Settings > General > Remotes and selecting a third-party remote that Apple TV has already learned